Agua - posh spanish nosh at Qianmen

Posted by Gingerblossom at 1:13 AM

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This review's a couple of weeks late! My food and wine loving Uncle took us to Agua in late December and somehow this review never got written... that's not to say it was a forgettable experience. I just never got around to writing about it! 

Appetiser
Manchego
Food at Agua was on the whole excellent. They served us some complimentary appetizer of cream cheese in a cone. I have no clue what it was but it was definitely tasty and the presentation was interesting.  We order the garlic prawns, Manchego and Iberico ham appetizers to share. The prawns were garlicky fragrant while the Manchego ( sheep's cheese) was a tad too strong- nothing like the Manchego I remember eating in Spain.  I guess it was
 aged longer hence the strong flavor. If you like goat's cheese, then you'll probably love Agua's Manchego.  The ham was smokey and salty.  Great with the complimentary warm crusty bread that was served. 
Garlic Prawns
Complimentary bread and Iberico Ham

For mains 2 of us had the roast suckling pig. The skin was paper thin and crispy like it should be and the meat was so tender it melted like butter under fork & knife.  This has to be one the best roast suckling pig I've had after innumerable tastings of the same dish in different restaurants. Wait, I take that back. The best I've had was in Restaurant Botin in Madrid, supposedly the world's oldest restaurant. Agua's a very close 2nd best :). My only quibble with it was the thick layer of artery choking fat. But I guess roast suckling pig tends to be fatty huh?

Dan had the curried lamb which he pronounced to be "just ok lah". I didn't like it one bit having found it over spiced.  My aunt had a fish dish which she enjoyed immensely.  
Prices for starters  began from about 70RMB. Mains started from around 150RMB

Service was very attentive and unobtrusive. My wine glass seemed to be magically topped up each time I picked up the glass and mains were served to the individuals who ordered the dishes without us having to repeat who ordered what! The decor was gorgeous - sultry red walls, curved ceilings with twinkling lights... There was a bar area too for you to wait for an available table. It was a weekday night and the restaurant was 3/4 full so I guess reservations are a must for Fridays and weekends. 

Address: 

Legation Quarter, 23 Qianmen Dongdajie,
前门东大街23号

Tel: 6559-6266


0 comments: