Olio Glorio!

Posted by Gingerblossom at 10:55 PM

Tuesday, February 3, 2009


Had lunch at Olio today. Yes, the same Olio that you find in Singapore. It's been in Beijing for over a year I think. When they were newly opened, my uncle tried their Hainanese Chicken Rice, then old me about the restaurant. I came, tried it and loved their Nonya Chicken Rice. Since then, I've been back countless times to eat the same thing and occasionally try other Singaporean dishes. Of course, they serve great sandwiches too. It's like having a taste of home whenever I dine here.  

I also got to know the restaurant manager - Shirley- who's Singaporean. It was nice talking to another person from home, and still is whenever I come to Olio for a meal. Several of the wait staff are from Singapore too - interns from Singapore's Polytechnics here to experience China. Shirley saw me come in alone today and asked if I went home for CNY. When I said no, she got her wait staff to serve my beverage with a couple of pineapple tarts and shrimp rolls! That really warmed my heart, more than the Singapore food did. 

You can be sure I'll be back for more delish eats at Olio. It may not be fine dining. But like I said, it's a taste of home. 

Address:
Unit B124 China Central Place ( below office tower 3)
Set lunches 69 RMB ( includes starter, main & beverage) 

5 comments:

lovexiaolongbao said...

honestly, i don't mean to boast, but i think my chicken rice + chili is nicer. hahaha. now i'm never gonna cook chicken rice for u cos i've sold myself abit too high.

Anonymous said...

Have u tried Lau Pat Sat that's opposite the Canadian Embassy?

I go there whenever I am in Beijing.

Anonymous said...

Its opened by a Singaporean.

They have lots of Singaporean dishes there too...

Will also try Olio the next time I am in Beijing.

I miss Chicken Rice.

karma chameleon said...

Hmmm... I've walked past a couple of times but never walked in to try...maybe I should soon!

lxlb - I'd settle for your chicken rice + chili. Am just waiting for the invite heh heh ;P

Gingerblossom said...

The hainanese chicken rice was just ok lah. The Nonya chicken rice is the one I like minus the fake keropok they serve on the side. There's also a curry dish which is pretty tasty.

LXLB: Your chilli wins! But the thing I truly love is the thick black sauce which no restaurant serves in Beijing. I should bring my own sauce next time I eat chix rice.

Judebabe: yea. LPS is pretty authentic. The hokkien mee is yummy. They even sell Pandan cake occasionally

KC: It's just like Olio Dome back home lah. The food is pretty good by BJ stds.