Muxiyuan cloth market

Posted by Gingerblossom at 2:42 AM

Saturday, February 21, 2009

This is further south of Panjiayuan. I guess similar to the wholesale centres at the zoo but I didn't check out the wares. I went specifically to look for a cloth market. There were so many outlets there that Dan & I got kinda lost. 


We started out at a fabric market that sells materials for curtains and sofa covers. Not quite what I wanted but I did find material that looked exactly the same as the ultra suede seat covers I have back in Singapore on my dining chairs. That was brilliant! Our old covers are worn and one cover is even missing ( thanks to my last tenant!!!) I've been planning to replace them. Currently, 2 of the chairs sport temporary covers made with cheap ikea fabric. I need replacements! We snapped up the ultra suede for 25RMB per metre ( less than what I paid at Ikea!!!!!) 

We wandered around and found the market that sells cloth for clothing. Unfortunately, they were mostly closed for the day. On the plus side, the button shops were open so I managed to get some stuff which can double up as beads. 

In case you want to seek out the cloth/ button market, it's called Tian Hai clothing market 天海 服装批发市场. It's across the road from a fancier looking wholesale mall called Xin Shi Ji 新世纪.  There are 3 curtain markets in the area so you'll be spoilt for choice deciding what to get. Many offer sewing services. 

0 comments: