Shopping again...

Posted by Gingerblossom at 1:13 AM

Friday, December 5, 2008

Despite the -4 to -10 degree forecast for today, I went out into the cold anyway. With my trusty down jacket, it wasn't that bad! The wind though, made it feel nasty on my eyes and ears.

I hit the Jiayi Market located across from Kunlun Hotel. I like this market because they sell nice stuff at more reasonable prices than the Silk Market or Yaxiu Market. And it's not as far as the wholesale centres. This is a great place to buy kids clothes. And that was my goal - to buy stuff for friends' kids. I found a shop that sells Baby Mexx and got a winter body suit thingy. Prices ranged from 50rmb onwards for the winter stuff. The same shop sells the coolest Harley and Catepillar boots for little boys. Then hit another shop to get stuff for the Toys' baby. Baby Asher will soon have a new set of clothes! The white one with penguin prints is apparently from Baby Gap. Prices at this shop started at 30rmb for the light cotton stuff.

Then I spent on something I maybe shouldn't have... a leather jacket. I was torn between 2 choices. Both were biker style. The first was 1600rmb and on close examination, the buttons were Ben Sherman. So assumption is the jacket is from Ben Sherman except the label's been replaced with the stall's own and the seller didn't know better else it wouldn't have been 1600rmb!! It was a tad big and she didn't want to budge on the price. So off I went.2nd option is the one I bought ( above pix). Again, I don't think the seller knew what she had. The jacket had a Banana Republic label. Usually, the sellers there would tell you that it's a foreign brand, very famous, expensive, lah dee da. I've gotten Forever 21 stuff at this market before so it's possible it's the real thing. Afterall, who wants to fake Forever 21 & Banana Republic right? But this seller didn't seem to know. She basically promoted the softness of the leather and the style. Opening price was 1750RMB and after some haggling she came down to 1300... I eventually got it for 1100rmb thanks to today's lousy weather which is affecting their business. I haven't been very successful haggling at this market. It's not like the Silk market where you slash everything 60% or more. At Jiayi, they boot you out if they think you are being ridiculous! More locals shop here too... maybe that's why.

Anyway, I love my new jacket! It's a perfect replacement for my fav spring/ autumn Topshop jacket that's been washed till it's somewhat grey. And in the meantime... I'm broke!

6 comments:

QooFamily Blog said...

that mexx shop is where i got LeLe the baby GAP denim jacket, same design as what ur hubby has!
cool jacket! i lack a leather jacket.. but...i still stick to my new rule-no shopping;)

karma chameleon said...

HHmm... maybe I'll check out this Jiayi place this weekend ... keeping fingers crossed that I'll manage to find some buys!

Unknown said...

love love love your new leather jacket!! you should fashion show it at dinner on Monday!

lovexiaolongbao said...

love the jacket! i love the way leather looks.

Anonymous said...

Great buy!

Used to go there for their Korean imports too...

Gingerblossom said...

Karma Chameleon: It's a fun place to shop. You should check it out.

Addy: right... too cold at night these couple of days lah! I hate layering

LXLB: Thank you! Feels soft

Judebabe: There was a fantastic shop with Korean stuff but it was pricey! I saw a gorgeous olive green faux leather bag that was going for 750RMB...