Of X'mas potlucks and exercise

Posted by Gingerblossom at 12:39 AM

Saturday, December 27, 2008


I'm fat. Well, least I feel fat. Happens every so often especially around this festive season because of all the sumptuous spreads we have at home and at friends' places. Home cooked food is always yum and so I eat. And eat and eat some more. We had a Christmas Eve eve eve pot luck last weekend where the menu consisted of Chilli Carne, Shepherd's pie, Singapore Fish balls, Chips with salsa & guacamole,Sweet Mascarpone Dessert and Pineapple tarts. ( photo above)  
On Christmas Eve, we had more delish food at a friend's place.  There was  Fried beehoon, keropok with the most heavenly belachan ever made, drool-worthy chicken curry, battered prawns, tiramisu and so much more... I thought that I was stuffed but 3 hrs later back home, I felt hunger pangs and had to grab a snack. Suppers are most unhealthy but I really can't go to bed hungry! I've tried and ended up taking forever to sleep then waking with the nastiest stomach cramps caused by hunger!!  
So... after all that eating, I felt bad. Exercise would make me feel better. But my gym membership has expired and I'm not about to spend another 3000RMB  to get it renewed.  I remembered that we had a skipping rope and several years ago some folks form the Singapore Heart Foundation shared some findings about skipping being good for the heart. Searched online and the skipping proposition seems pretty convincing: 1. You burn about 1000 calories if you skip for an hour.  2. It improves dexterity and hand-eye coordination 3. Calves and back muscles are strengthened 4. You can skip anytime anywhere. Of course, if your knees aren't in good condition, skipping isn't for you. 

I've started slow with 200 skips and increased it to 20mins of skipping ( that's about 800skips I think) and after the exercise, I feel my heart pumping and my legs aching. Gonna keep this up till I skip away all the food I've been eating!! 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hahah! is that stella's heart-shaped plate i see in the pix??

well-done with the ropes... i'm hula-hooping at home too. hopefully can get rid of some extra extras whcih came along with all tyhose festive muchies :(

ginaloh said...

Hmm...i thought u will be the last person to pile on the additional kilos. U bottomless pit? Im heading for a good workout tmrw.

Gingerblossom said...

Strangely, I don't put on weight. My face just looks rounder and I swear I look fatter. Maybe it's just psychological....

lovexiaolongbao said...

u r so not fat lor...


addy> its my plate. n david chipped it!