Shanghai "Fast Food"

Posted by Gingerblossom at 6:47 AM

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Had lunch a couple of days ago with Veron & her mum at the new Absolute Cafe located in B1 of Hua Mao Shopping Mall. Well, not so new. Apparently it opened its doors sometime in the 6weeks I spent back home.

Absolute Cafe serves up Shanghainese dishes such as xiaolongbao, noodles etc. Prices were reasonable. Between 3 of us, we spent less than 50 RMB each.

I enjoyed the xiaolongbao. The dumpling skin was still most ( i.e. served fresh from the steamer) and thin but thick enough to survive my chopstick manhandling and its vinegar bath. It was a little packet of meaty soupy goodness! Also good was a dish called 猫耳朵. I've forgotten the full name but it was the only dish described as "cat's ears". It was essentially deep fried dumplings stuffed with tofu and chives - a rather interesting combination of crunchy and soft. We had 2 servings of this dish!
Xiaolongbao
Cat's Ears
The not soo good - the amount of oil used in the dishes. Our order of noodles tossed in onion oil and another fried noodle dish were tasty but at the same time really oily. The 三丝酥 ( a baked flaky pastry stuffed with turnip, mushroon and I think, radish) practically oozed oil. I usually eat a lot but that day, I think the amount of oil put a damper on my appetite. Still, it's worth going back for more of those Xiaolongbao and 猫耳朵!

Fried noodles and pastry

1 comments:

QooFamily Blog said...

the Cats Ears is super yummy right? but the noodles super oily....