Food Freight

Posted by Gingerblossom at 9:14 PM

Sunday, October 12, 2008

A friend shared with me how he brought packs of Ba Chor Mee ( minced pork noodles) back to the US. So I thought, "why not bring some back to Beijing for Daniel?".

I headed for our fav BCM store - Tai Hua Ba Chor Mee - at Crawford Street. This store used to be at Marina Square's outdoor food court... yea, the one with super duper long queues. The queues haven't gotten gotten any shorter. Everytime we're home, that's where we head for a noodle fix., sometimes waiting as long as 1hr for a $4 bowl of noodles!!!


Anyway, I savoured every bite of my noodles at the coffee shop, then doggy bagged 3 packs for Daniel.

The process of transporting noodles across the South China Sea is quite simple:
1. Purchase the noodles ( hahaha... most basic step right???)
2. let noodles cool and tranfer to a ziplock bag
3. Freeze noodles till they are rock solid
4. Transfer noodles into a cooler bag and pack into check-in luggage
5. Upon arrival at destination, check noodles back into a freezer to maintain "freshness"
6. Defrost and heat up before eating.

Daniel's tried a pack already and it wasn't too bad at all. Not as good as eating it freshly prepared but yummilicious nonetheless. Especially when there's no available supply in where we are!

Apart from BCM for human consumption, I also lugged back a 9kg pack of cat food for Ody & Pisase. 9kg!!! Because of that, I had to leave behind half my clothes and hand carry the rest. And unfortunately, I could only carry back 1 tin of milk for a friend... At the airport, my bag weighed in at a hefty 27kg. I had to remove stuff/ transfer to hand carried luggage. My parents told me to toss the BCM but there was NO WAY I was going to do that! I'll give up the clothes but not the noodles!!!

2 comments:

hiwindjunkie said...

9kg of food for pisase & only 3 bags of BCM for dan? i'm sure dan would luuuurve to have 9kg of BCM next time!

Gingerblossom said...

um... 9kg of BCM is pushing it too far. He may swear off BCM forever after eating that much!