Patience is a virtue

Posted by Gingerblossom at 7:57 AM

Sunday, April 19, 2009

That's what I keep reminding myself at work. Just 1.5 mths back to work and someone mentioned on Friday how irritable I've become. I don't shout or lose my temper. That's just not professional. But apparently, I get get rather "bitchy" and impatient about everything - the heat, the client, the translator and even to innocent bystanders like poor Dan. 


I'm making a conscious effort not to be mean. So bear with me if I snap at the most inconsequential things or appear to be in a world of my own. My mind's rather pre-occupied with meeting deadlines , even on weekends. It's awful. 

I have a hate- love relationship with work. I put hate first because that's how it often feels  these days. Love... well.. I get brain stimulation,  a degree of satisfaction and a weird sort of social support in a country where I have few friends. 

For the past 2 years, I've wondered how other people working in PR feel, people in other agencies, covering different industries. It appears that many of my colleagues are afflicted by some sort of gastro-intestinal problem, exhaustion, menstrual problem or in my case, occasion heart palpitations and black spots.  Has there been any study of what medical problems afflict people in different industries?  I read addy's blog  about how "working with idiots can kill you". I'm beginning to think it's true, especially in client servicing positions where you deal with all sorts of people.



0 comments: