Seoul fun

Posted by Gingerblossom at 8:18 AM

Monday, June 8, 2009


I never was a fan of Korean TV series so the thought of going to Korea never quite occurred to me. My parents and siblings went to Seoul years ago when I was taking my A levels... so I couldn't go. My sis also went again to visit friends. And both times, she didn't seem to have much to say about Seoul apart from hating Kimchi. So I never thought of Seoul as an attractive destination.


I was wrong. Seoul is loads of fun!  There's plenty of interesting foods to eat, shops to browse, people to watch. I thought it would be similar to Japan. It was.. but not quite. It was very uniquely Korean. People behaved differently, the pace of life was slower than in Tokyo and the the shopping was very varied too.  
We stayed at the Dongdaemun area, in an apart-el ( service apartment sorta place) called Eastgate Tower Residence. It was located in a office/ shopping mall which I thought as rather strange but it was a really nice room with good basic facilities. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. For SG$100 a night. I thought it offered good value. 

Each day we'll gather with other travel mates ( 2 other couples) at the nearby subway station and then hit the sites and shops.  Dan & I seldom travel with other people or as part of a tour. It was great to have company! Great company on a holiday makes the entire trip a whole lot more fun!! 
One thing I didn't get to do in Seoul was explore the markets near our hotel. The wholesale markets are closed on Sunday.. as I discovered on Sunday morning, the day I designated to hit the button, fabric and bead markets. Ah well... all the more reason to go back again! 

0 comments: